Saturday, November 26, 2005

Buy Nothing Day






As many of you know, the day after Thanksgiving is the biggest shopping day of the year. You may not know that there is an international social movement attempting to challenge consumerism by designating this day "Buy Nothing Day". For our part, we went "shopping" in our local riparian zone for driftwood and interesting junk (the uninteresting junk we put in the trash).

I liked the UK "Buy Nothing Day" website best:
http://www.buynothingday.co.uk/

Anyway, it's only letting me post five photos at a time...let's see, the first one is Gretchen on the bridge. The next one is looking down on the river. Then looking west. Then looking straight down on the driftwood that's gathered against one of the bridge supports. Then me making a dorky smile. We came away with some nice pieces of wood and I found an old stopsign. Maybe I'll put it on the wall in the bathhouse one day.

-m

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are all of those pics from around your house?

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to admit it...we bought.

BUT, there's a happy ending. We lost what we bought. We were out and about and left our bag of stuff, which never showed up in the lost and found, anywhere.

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the buy nothing day site. I really took it to heart and spent the day stealing stuff in L.A. What a rush! I felt like I was really sticking it to those corporate cocks! Excuse my language but a blog isn't a blog without that word.

Kudos

(Also a blog isn't one without the word "Kudos")

G.S.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Ephraim Manessah said...

You may have not "bought" anything that day, but you "bought" into the idea of a "Buy Nothing Day." You are so gullible. Next year, don't buy ANYTHING, either figuratively or literally.

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats